The Flight's Snake

The last three days has been incredibility insane. Last night was the first time that I was finally able to get some sleep and man, did I need it! With all the last minute packing, until 4:30 in the morning and then zipping (literally, since I drove a Zipcar) to San Francisco transfer to BART headed for the San Francisco Airport for a flight to Seattle. Honestly, I have no idea how I was able to stay up for 48 hours without a single drop of REM! 

The adventure did not stop when I got to SFO, it where it started. When I checked in Alaska Airlines, I found myself disappointed because I would have to pay $20 bucks to check in one bag. All I could do was mutter under by breath that "God damm, I wish Southwest agents would arrest those sons**bi*ches!" Now, after checking in, you know that most people when they write about their travels would share insane stories about their experiences going through airport security. I guess for me, I got excepted from that experience. Quite frankly, I'm stoked about that. 

My first flight leg was from San Francisco to Portland, Oregon. Portland has a special place in my heart and will always have a special place in my heart. I've had some many amazing experiences, many amazing friends and the city itself is that awesome. Yet, I was bummed since I was only going to stop there to wait for my second leg flight to Seattle, WA. Nevertheless, the landing brought back some good memories and of course, PDX is, in my opinion, one of the best airports in the United States. 

As I exited the gate, I headed to the mega-huge flat screen televisions that would inform me where my departing gate for my flight to Seattle, WA. Terminal A5. Of my years of flying in and out of PDX, I realized that all that time, I've never been to Terminal A at PDX. Strange, yet, I was excited to take a peek. As I took the elevator stairs down to Terminal A, as I reach the bottom and as I walked towards the terminal, my eyes widen when I saw one of my favorite places to go on earth, Starbucks

Of all the airports, this one has been by far the best experience, with only one person in front of me, I decided what I wanted to order. Which, by the way, is never that difficult because I always know what I want to order for coffee, however, the difficult part is ordering food. No breakfast sandwiches available. No Cinnamon Swirl Coffee Cake available. The choices were starting to get daunting. Now, I'm up to order, shoot. The one last glance to the top left corner, obviously, out of the corner of my eye, I knew what I wanted to order. 

Grande Toffee Nut Latte and a Banana Nut Bread. 

The lady took my order with pleasure and not only that, she gave me a dollar discount. I'm not sure why. I think maybe because she loved my charm. Or maybe she found me attractive and loved my smile. Or maybe she just loved the way I was so nice and charming when I ordered what I wanted. Whatever the reason, I only had to pay five bucks for an excellent coffee and for an very good Banana Nut Bread. I think we both totally made each other day without really knowing it! 

My flight to Seattle was not very pleasant. Blunt, eh? Well, you have to admit, that being in a somewhat tiny plane with small chairs, with very limited legroom, isn't exactly what I pictured when I flew from Portland to Seattle. Plus, my chair-mate, started to get on my nerves after the flight attendant ask all passengers to off their cell phones for the fourth time and he was still on his Blackberry. I started to have all these imagination of myself turning next to him to ask him with a stern voice to turn off his cell phone. Then I started wondering what I would do if he said something, well, not very nice. My mind started really started to get into it and remembered about that guy that smacked at 12 year old kid for not turning off his cell phone. Yeah, I thought to myself, I can take him on. 

He turned off his cell phone. I took a s big breath and sighed in relief. 

Rough landing. I jerked myself upright and griped the handlebar with my left hand. As I exited the plane, the first thing that I noticed that, boy, it was windy today! I entered the terminal and suddenly, my stomach growled at me. I'm starving badly. My body told me it need a sandwich badly. I walked up and down the food court, but to no avail. Then out of the corner of my eye, I noticed the Alaska Lounge. Not even close to the food court, but it looked like the place for an excellent sandwich with chips! I sat myself and took a look at the! Turkey and bacon sandwich with ciabatta bread with chips! So good! My server, Ann, was excellent! 

Afterwards, since I did take longer than expected to finish my lunch/dinner, I headed to baggage claim and knew immediately to go to the Alaska Airline office to claim my bag. Once secured, I headed out of the terminal to go Seattle newest transportation attraction, Link Light Rail. Extremely modern and sleek. The light rail took me straight from the airport to downtown Seattle in less than 45 minutes. Not bad for paying less than three bucks. Actually, I think it's downright awesome! 

Arriving in downtown Seattle via Link Light Rail, you could say, pleasant. Love being fifty feet off the ground and seeing the city and beautiful view of scenery of the Seattle/Tacoma area! Just breathtaking. As I took the elevator stairs up to ground level in downtown Seattle, all I could think about was the last time I was here with my brother and his wife. I headed towards the hostel I booked a month ago: Green Tortoise Hostel in Seattle

One of the best hostel I've stayed at so far in the United States. 

Best price ever. Smacked in the middle of downtown Seattle and next to the Pike Place. Free internet. Free meals.  The double bunk bed are sturdy as a oak tree and they have curtain to ensure you privacy. They have plenty of electricity plugs everywhere in the room and even by the top bunk beds! They have excellent storage lockers in the room as well. Huge enough to fit two large travel bags! Love it! 

After checking in, I decided that I needed to kill some time since I did not want to crash too early (it was around 3pm). Give it a guess? Yup, that's right, I decided to look for the nearest Starbucks. Plus, I got some unexpected news and needed to get some coffee, a place with free wi-fi and a place for people watching. I tell you not, there's no better place than Starbucks. 

I lasted as long as I could and then crashed on the top bunk bed at the Green Tortoise Hostel. 

You may also like

No comments:

If you want to include any links in the comments section, you must put it in HTML format. If you don't know how to do that, please refer to this site. HTML Links

I do not pre-moderate any comments and welcome all kinds of thoughts- supportive, dissenting, critical or otherwise.

I will not delete or censor comments unless they have content that:

is abusive
is off-topic
contains ad-hominem attacks
promotes hate of any kind
uses excessively foul language
is blatantly spam

All comments are filtered through spam filtering technology; the spam-filtering technology isn’t perfect and from time to time it flags legitimate emails (false positives).

If you find that your comment isn’t immediately showing up, it may have been erroneously flagged as spam. Please email me at youngthomsen(@)gmail(dot)com to follow up on the status of your comment if it hasn’t shown up after 24 hours and I will do my best to sort it out.